8.6.06

Matching Underwear

“Matching underwear is only a problem if you flaunt it,” Bix told me with an airy smile. “It’s the same with anything pink really. I mean you could go all out like some fashionista golf caddy but you might as well beat yourself up at that point. I mean, balls are one thing but if they’re so big they stick out your zipper there’s no way you can avoid the pain, know what I mean?”

Bix was the gayest kid in high school and everybody knew it but him. He thought he got picked on for his Indonesian heritage but the hatred was more complex than that. Many were the times he’d rant to me about subtle tricks he’d learned to hide his way of being – i.e. different, not gay, in his mind - from the shit-kicking hormone-laced masses.

I considered his wisdom pearls sitting on the plane back to Regina for his funeral. I was surprised enough to learn of his death, even more surprised to learn he’d never left Saskatchewan. If there was one kid you knew would leave, it was Bix. Fuckin’ Bix.

I don’t even know if I ever liked the guy; he just fascinated me. Just like Earl Ellis, who used to microwave his cat, had a large collection of his friends’ mothers’ panties, and once inserted his finger into a dog’s vagina, fascinated me. They were deviants to me. Earl was the one who was really fucked up, poor Bix was just a gayboy in a smalltown – wrong place wrong time. I realize that now.

Earl was the dangerous one. The three of us were fast freakish friends on the outskirts of a town left to rot. Earl and I were probably the main reason Bix didn’t get his shit removed via the boots of a bully more often. Imagine my surprise when I learned they became lovers later in life, and it was Earl who done Bix in during a jealous fit.

“It was Bix’s own damn fault,” Earl’s mother told me after the funeral. “Bad enough to cheat, but to let yerself get caught half naked in your new lover’s arms. Worst part was, Bix and his new stud had on matching underwear, so you know it wasn’t just a one-time thing.” Only a problem if you flaunt it I guess.

6 comments:

Kaufman said...

On behalf of The Tony Clifton Experience All-Stars (I have seen the line-up and let me be the first to point out that you're a starter), I'd like to welcome you to the sacred brotherhood of the trailing off because there's no creative juice left.

I had a GOOD laugh at this one, Benji. And if you hadn't emailed me those photos of you guys lobbing rubber dildoes over Bix's coffin at the funeral, I would've thought a vivid imagination had commandeered your keyboard.

Outstanding! *applauds*

Between daisies said...

I was left wondering if this was a true one or not... It has a very realistic feel to it. Welcomne aboard!

Kaufman said...

For me, the snot started escaping from my nose at this point: 'He thought he got picked on for his Indonesian heritage but the hatred was more complex than that.'

Chris Benjamin said...

thanks guys. almost hate to draw back the curtain and reveal the little man at the wheels, but this one's almost completely fiction. the psychotic dude is a bit of an amalgamation of a bunch of perverts i went to high school with, and Bix is based very very loosely on a very nice boy who also shared my high school. He was both heavily teased yet quite popular in his way. The rest is my twisted imagination.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Ha ha!

Sweet ride. Nice little twist at the end.

I liked this one lots. This could be filmed as a short, or a music video to go with a song of the same name.